Creative Workshop Portfolio Review

I went to the Portfolio Review workshop today hosted by the ComD department and the Art + Design Club and I am so glad I went. All semester long, I’ve been working on design projects that I put a lot of time, thought, and effort into designing but I was really only proud of 2 or 3 of my works. Even at my job, I have designed anything that I would want to put in my personal portfolio to show professionals. I was starting to feel like I didn’t put in as much as effort as I usually do. However, going to the portfolio review really changed that mindset for me and I had a lot of my pressing questions answered by professionals.

I met with a professor who teaches Advertising Portfolio Development here at City Tech and he seemed very impressed with my work. He highly suggested I take his class next semester as well! I currently have my portfolio on tumblr.com just because I haven’t had the chance to sit down and create one on squarespace or wix. I wasn’t sure if that was a good or bad thing but he assured me that for the time being, it was alright. I also wanted to know if I should keep my portfolio consistent in turns of design aesthetic. I’ve heard time and time again that I need to have a certain look that defines my style of work but he mentioned that since I wanted to find work as an art director in the future that I wouldn’t have to worry about that and that I should have pieces that show you can create all sorts of design work. I was very happy to hear that since I’ve been stressing myself in trying to find my “look.”

I also met with Morgan Mack who was a copy writer at McCann. We had a very casual conversation and we spoke a lot about her. She mentioned that she sort of fell into Advertising and actually studied literature in college. She never saw herself as a visually artistic person but she works well with her words. She is still fairly young- maybe around my age actually but she I asked her where she sees herself in the future and she wasn’t exactly sure. I was actually interested in seeing her portfolio from college and portfolio school and even though she didn’t seem to like the pieces, I thought they were very interesting. It was cool to see the transition from schoolwork to real work. She seemed very proud of the work she created recently and was excited to talk about it!