“Listening, Knowing, Creating” Bob Calvano Webcast

I listened to a webcast by Bob Calvano on the AIGA website.

Here are some important and interesting notes I took.

Knowing who you are is important in the design field because you can create and listen better.
It is also important because you could gain clarity around what you should be listening to going forward in a work enviornment or with a client.
To do this you should ask yourself “what do I bring to the today?” You could also do a retrospective where you identify a common thread in your work. What are your inspirations behind your work, who motivates you, how do you get a project completed, what sort of environment do you enjoy working in, etc?

Listen to opportunities that will allow you to express yourself and your work. Listening goes hand and hand with waiting for opportunities that you see demonstrate how you see design (authentic expression).
Listen to clients but also ask “what do I hear?”

When it came to creating, Calvano brought up how we can help corporations make an emotional connection to the world. Words alone don’t bring about this change. We need to think big and on a global level. We need to shift the perceptive we have on ourselves and one another. Get rid of your story so you can find your potential.

Image result for bob calvano