SUMMER 2018 DENTAL HYGIENE INTERNSHIP: NATIONAL DENTAL – OAKLAND GARDENS, NY

During the summer after my second semester in the dental hygiene program, I was given the opportunity to intern at a private dental practice from May through July of 2018. Under the supervision and direction of one of the dental hygienists, Diana Lorenzo, RDH, I learned how to take radiographs such as panoramic X-rays, full mouth series X-rays, bitewings and periapicals, how to autoclave instruments and was able to complete oral prophylaxis for approximately five patients per day. Being an intern at National Dental was my first comprehensive experience working in a dental office. The office and all of its equipment was new, which gave me exposure to updated technology and integrated patient care. Completing this internship gave me even more confidence as a clinician and really prepared me for patient management and care for the upcoming third semester. The best experience that I had at National Dental was treating a twelve year-old girl who had dental anxiety and phobia. By using the “tell-show-do” behavioral method, I was successfully able to complete her treatment and provide her with a positive experience.

Cavitron practice