Project #4

Why should we have an artist statement behind work? As a professional artist, you need more than just your work to get around the art world. Along with your portfolio, at a moment’s notice, you should have an artist’s statement available. An artist’s statement should be considered as important as your work. The artist’s observation of his or her own work is the connection between the viewers and the artist format. Sarah Hotchkiss a visual artist and writer in her article said “All that said, sitting down and writing clear, concise, and compelling sentences about your art is daunting. So don’t start with sentences. Ease your way into it with a writing exercise that feels exciting, or generative, or natural to you.” In my artist statement, I go into the details of all the techniques and the way how I create my works. The example in my statement is “My creative work includes drawing, painting, sculpture, graphic design, and concept design. I believe those insights in the art are practiced to find one’s talent and I find that my work is one that will influence others. I work These drawings are simultaneously representational and abstract, static and dynamic. The drawings communicate important qualities embedded throughout the faces of my work. I think of my installations as three-dimensional drawings I often use materials, such as micro pens and gel pens, to define space and form. In these works, I use pictures and text to create tension for the viewer to understand the importance of the cause. in particle things, I find most important is my passion to help animals from becoming endangered.” This goes in the work and details of the process that connects me to the viewer for them to understand. In this article by Agora Gallery says that “It will be used when submitting your portfolio to competitions, galleries, and museums. It can sometimes be displayed when people view your work in person or on your website.” An artist’s statement is an artist was for them to describe there work. The way it should be formated is a short verbal description so the viewer is able to understand. It’s not met to be a list of sentences that describe what you’re doing and why you’re doing it. It should be about the artist trying to communicate with the audience or viewer to have a conversation about your work. When writing out the statement there are a few different ways, the most popular is to describes your ambitions and your art. When you finish your artist statement you should review it and make sure it’s smooth and works. It’s never bad to ask for help from someone to hear it and give feedback. You should make “I” statements rather than “you” statements. Talk about what your art does for you, not what it’s supposed to do for the viewers. Statements about art can be very important to people who are at an art gallery, like visitors, students, and buyers who are interested in buying. There are many reasons an artist needs to make a statement like many famous artists. Jackson Pollock’s artist statement was “I want to express my feelings rather than illustrate them. It doesn’t matter how the paint is put on, as long as something is said. On the floor, I am more at ease. I feel nearer, more part of the painting, since this way I can walk around it, work from the four sides and literally be in the painting. When I’m painting, I’m not aware of what I’m doing. It’s only after a get-acquainted period that I see what I’ve been about. I’ve no fears about making changes for the painting has a life of its own.” This great artist uses great language to tell how and why he creates such works of art to tell the viewer his point of view.

Bilici, A., Connell, D. O., Bernochi, R. de, Fortin, C., Kim, Hironyphos, … Fel Plata. (2018, December 19). How To Write An Artist Statement: Tips From The Art Experts. Retrieved December 6, 2019, from https://www.agora-gallery.com/advice/blog/2016/07/23/how-to-write-artist-statement/

Hotchkiss, S. How to write an artist statement. Retrieved December 6, 2019, from https://thecreativeindependent.com/guides/how-to-write-an-artist-statement/

Phillips, R., Phillips, R. P. R., Rosemary, Phillips, R., Pendergrass, M., Rebellicca, … Renee. Home. Retrieved December 6, 2019, from https://renee-phillips.com/art-and-artists-statements-by-famous-artists/