Focused freewrite: Think about a time when you became engrossed in or even obsessed with something you were learning, studying, or experiencing. What did you do to feed and develop that interest, and what was the result?
“Reading Lucy” by Jennifer Egan
- How is Egan’s research experience an example of what we just wrote about?
- How is “Reading Lucy” a research essay? how is it different than what we would expect from a research essay?
- What kind of research is included, and how do we experience it?
- What does Egan learn about Lucy that makes her feel like they are friends?
- Where do we see overlaps and juxtapositions?
- What words do we need defined? What questions do we have?
- Additional materials: letters, photo
Read and make notes in the margins to help you think about these questions.
- What overlaps or juxtapositions can we find in “Reading Lucy”?
- What research can we do to prepare for the Project #3 walk?