Pattern mashup

The song that I chose for my patterns is single again by big sean. I feel like this song flows nice so that’s why there’s a lot of wavy patterns.   I feel like the song sounds nice and smooth with the flute playing and singing at the beginning of it before it goes into a repetitive beat for most of the song. Near the end, it switches and the flute disappears and its more of a bumpy and smooth beat. There’s also a repeating beat so some patterns repeat themselves. There’s a beat switch near the end so I created some different patterns

Define

These are the 6 patterns that I chose to recreate. The wavy design represents the flow of the song. After this, I chose a pattern and texture to use in my final piece

Develop

This is my final. I used the wavy design that I used when I first started my patterns and when I recreated them and the texture a pattern I found on a remote so I recreated it to look like that. The wavy lines represent the flow of the song and the circles represent how to beat repeats itself until it switches. This project taught me how to use sound on paper

2 thoughts on “Pattern mashup”

1. Hi Nathaniel,

The way the patterns were repeated and in different directions make the composition look interesting. However, I would say to alternate more between patterns instead of putting the same ones next to each other. I think that would give it more variety.

2. Nice repeating shapes around the work , kind of opens it up to and interpretation of what the main focus actual is. Just I would say maybe try and finding ways to reuse the patterns but make them look different (if that makes any sense) but I like the design