Project #2 Completed

Nathaniel Thomas is an African American student who is studying communication design at NY City tech. He grew up in Brooklyn with his parents and younger siblings. In his free time, Nathaniel likes to play video games and draw. He mainly draws regular 2D figures or whatever he’s in the mood to draw. Looking to learn something new and improve his skills, he enrolled at NY City Tech and is studying communication design. He’s currently learning how to do one/two point perspective, doing inked drawings and different types of patterns. He will learn more along the way

What is your avatar? How does it represent you?

My avatar is the letter N with a different font and a colorful design. I chose this because it represents me and the type of art I like looking at, nice and colorful art. The way this is designed makes the colors pop out. The avatar has all types of different colors such as purple, pink, green red, blue and more. Another way this artwork is designed is that the blocks of colors overlap each other. For example, there is a pink block overlapping the purple block. A blue block is also overlapping the purple block but at the top.

Question #1-Do you prefer working by yourself or in a group environment?

I prefer working by myself but if I have to do a group a project, I don’t mind. Working by myself is better because I get to see what I have to do and I can concentrate on doing the whole thing rather than just one part. For a group project, sometimes it might be hard seeing what everyone else is working on. Also, I think if the whole group keeps in check, we might be able to do the whole project and get a good grade on it.

Question #2- Where do you think the future of design will take you?

I’m actually not sure where the future of design will take me. It depends on what my strengths and weaknesses are and what I like to do the most. So far, my strengths are just being a great drawer. There’s still so much for me to learn in the world of art. I could become a painter even though I never really painted before, or someone who likes to make sculptures. In the end, it all depends on my strengths and weaknesses and what I like to do the most. Right now, I just prefer doing regular pencil on paper drawings so maybe I might be someone who just likes to draw, who knows.

Question#3- What is your motivation in design/to be a design student?

My motivation in design and being a design student is searching up or scrolling through social media and seeing a great looking drawing. All these drawings that we see online is because someone made them. I want to be able to say I made some of these drawings. Another thing that motivates me is watching cartoons. Cartoons like spongebob, rick and morty, family guy all  have a unique  style  to  them.  For  example,  spongebob  has  a style  that  makes  the  animation  bouncy  and  smooth,  while  rick  and  morty  has  more  of  a sci fi  type  look  with  aliens  and  other  creatures. These cartoons all exist because someone or a group of people worked together to make it. This is also a benefit of working together, they end up making great work that lasts for years. Spongebob and family guy have both lasted for more than a decade. I hope that I’ll be able to do something like this too.

Question#4- How do you intend to grow as a designer with this program?

I intend to grow by improving my drawing skills and learning to do different styles such as 3D drawings one and two point perspective, inked drawings, sculptures or anything else. Also, I want to learn what I like the most and what I’m really good at. I’m not sure on the courses I plan on taking next semester or next year, I have to work on that. I might join a club but I’m not sure which one yet. As long as I’m improving, that’s good