What I Observe:
- An Adorable Anime Character
- Japanese Lettering
Though its a very simple avatar, it could still speak volumes on the individual. I observe a grey-haired, red-eyed, fierce yet cute looking character drawn in the style of anime, a very popular style of art. This image gives me a sense of fierceness and adventure. I interpret a character that at a glance seems to have an adventurous spirit, and who isn’t afraid of anything. By the object in the characters hand, i inference the character to be Japanese in origin, due to the lettering. Based on all of this, i can make the inference that Ayano is a big fan of anime, and that she chose this character as her avatar because she defines herself as fierce, adventurous, and fearless. I can also infer that her nationality is Japanese.
After Reading Bio:
My inferences seemed to be pretty spot on, as Ayanos bio comfirms most of my assumptions. She is, matter fact, from Japan. She is a big fan of anime, and even aspires to pursue anime as a career in her future.
Profile: Brandy Ortiz
What I Observe:
- A Young Girl
- Hills in the Distance
- Celestial Lights
- Plants, Water
- A Pedestal of some sort
- Flower petals scattering
What I see in Brandy’s Avatar is a very complex and beautiful illustration of a very young looking girl in a fantasy-like setting. The girl seems to be holding something of mystical or magical essence, while positioned under a starry sky. I also see her surrounded by flowers, potted plants, and crystal water. She is alone, and looks to be very happy, blissful and feel independent about it. I depict the image as very magical and spiritual, with a sense of mystery as well. Based on this avatar, I infer that Brandy is regularly a fan of genres like fantasy and science fiction. She may be into books, movies or TV shows about fantasy and magic. I can also infer that her avatar can be a reflection of her character. Perhaps she herself feels like an independent person, who loves the night and connects with everything around her in a very spiritual way.
After Reading Bio:
Most off my inferences were not really confirmed within her bio. Though the Avatar seems very complex and deep (to me), Brandy seems to be a more laid back, and simple individual. Although she IS a fan of anime. Which, being a fan myself, i know consists of a lot of fantasy, therefore sort of confirming my inference on her being a fan of such things
To prepare for writing Project #1:
- If you haven’t already, register for an OpenLab account and join our Learning Community site, Ways of Seeing (Fall 2015).
- From the OpenLab home page, click on People to see OpenLab members
- Browse through, looking at the avatars.
- Without reading anything about the person, choose an avatar of a member of the OpenLab that you think says something about the person.
- Still without reading anything about the person, what do you understand about them based on their avatar? If you click on the avatar, you will see a larger version—but be careful not to read the member’s details yet!
- In a post:
- Make a list of what you observe when you look at the avatar.
- Make a list of the interpretations you make about the details you observe.
- Write a paragraph about how you interpret the avatar.
- Now finally read about the member. Can you confirm or correct any of your interpretations or inferences? Do you think that the avatar does not represent them accurately? Add a few sentences to answer these questions.
- Submit your post by Monday, 9/7.
- Reply to at least 3 classmates’ posts by Wednesday, 9/9 at 9:00am, offering feedback about the avatars they have chosen to write about—do you see an alternative reading they haven’t thought of? Are their details they haven’t contemplated enough?
- Choose your avatar if you haven’t already before Wednesday, 9/9, so you can write about it in your brainstorm and outline.
- Bring your brainstorm and outline to class on Wednesday, 9/9. It can be printed or handwritten.