Skim the reading
- look for names or dates or quotations that stand out
- important or key words
- main idea–underline or circle
- underline words you don’t know to look up after skimming
Reread the text to annotate it:
- paraphrase difficult ideas
- list main idea of each paragraph–in the margins
- number the paragraphs
- vocabulary!–write in the definitions and make sense of the sentences with your new understanding of the words
- what is the thesis of the reading?
- what controversies does it address?
- try to anticipate the questions
- what would you quote to support an answer to the anticipated questions?
- parallel experiences
Add to these ideas in the comments!