Didactic Panels

Panel 1

Brandy Ortiz

Born 1997 in Bronx,NY
Lives and studies in New York

Picture Perfect Family 2015
Pigma Micron Pens(0.2, 0.5 and Brush) and Faber-Castell Brush Pen

Ortiz transformed Brimstone and its thriller theme into one with a theme of family gathering. Behind this composition through the revealed text, the artist depicts a family that enjoys getting together. By outlining the frame with micron pens followed by blacking out the rest of the page, the frame within the margin area transforms the text to make it look like a family portrait.

Panel 2

Brandy Ortiz

Born 1997 in Bronx,NY
Lives and studies in New York

Love exist 2015
Scissors and Pencils(HB-6B)

The artist transforms Brimstone theme of thriller into a theme of love. The concept behind this composition is that through the revealed text, Ortiz depicts that love is a great feeling to have in the world we live in. Most of the page is shaded by pencil and represents low key. The heart shows that love will always be there even when surrounded by darkness.

Panel 3

Brandy Ortiz

Born 1997 in Bronx,NY
Lives and studies in New York

Picture Perfect Family 2015

Drawing inspiration from Phillips’s Humument project, Ortiz transformed Brimstone and its thriller theme into one with a theme of relaxing. The artists uses inking pens to create a figure and ground image of a boy relaxing on a beach. The revealed text brings a setting of a cool sensation from being surrounded by an ocean breeze.  

5 thoughts on “Didactic Panels”

1. These are all really good, but you have extra words in all of them. I suggest you take out “Ortiz transformed Brimstone and its thriller theme into one with a theme of family gathering.” and put that in the Catalogue entry because that relates to all of your compositions.

2. I really like your didactic panel. With only about 60 words, I can really tell what you are trying to say about your art work. I can tell that yo put effort in your design, with cutting some pieces from your book. I think you should check your spacing in between words, is just bothers me… (between Bronx, and NY. Pens and parenthesis) I also noticed that you are the only person who worked on this pages, correct? Than you should change “artists” to just “artist”. Other than that, nice work

3. Echoing your classmates, your attention to the meaning the different techniques convey is impressive. I notice that some of the panels aren’t exactly 60 words, but I think you can get them there with some revision.

About the theme: the idea was to create a text with a cohesive theme. Do you think that the family coming together encompasses the whole recreated book, and that love and relaxing are part of that? If so, perhaps make that clear, that the page represents the family coming together in love, or to relax.

As you revise to resolve this issue with the theme, and to get your panels to exactly 60 words, you’ll necessarily proofread and clear up any errors.

If you have any questions, reply here.