Project #2 Part 2

Beloved

Project#2 Part 2

custom image

The image is the imaginary chokecherry tree on Setheā€™s back which is the scar left on her back from being whipped by the schoolteacher and his nephews after her milk had been robbed.Ā  It is part of my pivotal scene essay and it is also mentioned throughout the book the white girl Amy Denver who helped Sethe to deliver Denver on her way of escape and Sethe when she told Paul D about being whipped while she was pregnant just before her escape.

Amy said, ā€œIt is a tree, Lu. A chokecherry tree. See, hereā€™s the trunk-itā€™s red and split wide open, full of sap, and this hereā€™s the parting for the branches. You got mighty lot of branches. Leaves, too, look like, then darn if these ainā€™t blossoms. Tiny little cherry blossoms just as white. Your back got a whole tree on it. In bloom. What God have in mind, I wonder.ā€ (93)

Sethe said, ā€œThat is what she called it. Iā€™ve never seen it and never will. But that is what she said it looked like. A chokecherry tree. Trunk, branches, and even leaves. Tiny little chokecherry leaves. But that was eighteen years ago. Could have cherries too now for all I know.ā€ (18).

Work Cited Page

Morrison, Toni.Ā  Beloved.Ā  New York:Ā  Alfred A. Knopf, 1998.Ā  Print.