Retelling comparison of “The Cottagette”

Although ā€œThe Cottagetteā€ conveys a woman’s view on what is a perfect or ideal household and marriage. My version ā€œMy Artist Soulā€, showed in the perspective of Ford Matthews shows the views of man when it comes to true love and a perfect household. However, in both of these stories towards the ending it shows that there is not a particular way to someones heart. In addition, household labor performed by the woman does not define her femininity and a women should not be confined to the household. This promote the equality of the roles of women and men in society and the household.

ā€œThe Cottagetteā€ as well as my retelling of it suggests a practical solution to domestic inequality by expanding the areas occupied by women. Seeing that Mr. Ford Matthews desired Malda to expand her horizon beyond the household and express her artistic views. Not confining her to the everyday household labors of cooking, cleaning, and dusting but encouraging her to work on her drawings as they were not as good as her previous works. Towards the ending of the story as well as my retelling it states,

“I want to marry you, Malda,–because I love you–because you are youngĀ and strong and beautiful–because you are wild and sweet and–fragrant,Ā and–elusive, like the wild flowers you love. Because you are so trulyĀ an artist in your special way, seeing beauty and giving it to others. IĀ love you because of all this, because you are rational and high mindedĀ and capable of friendship,–and in spite of your cooking!”

In this quote, Matthews sees Malda beyond people views of the idealistic woman. He explains to her that their relationship was not based on being a homemaker, but Malda being different and her true self. He tells her all things he loves about her which has nothing to do with her cooking. He wants her to be the true person he knows her to be which is being a true artist.

Due to the fact that the story I made was retold in the point of view of Mr. Ford, certain points from other characters are unable to be mentioned. For instance, the point of view of Maldaā€™s friends Lois, when it comes to an idealistic woman was not shown because she was talking to Malda directly while Ford Matthews was absent.

“Don’t be foolish, child,” said Lois, “this is serious. What they careĀ for most after all is domesticity. Of course they’ll fall in love withĀ anything; but what they want to marry is a homemaker.ā€

Since Malda felt as though Lois had the experience of marriage she felt as though she should trust what her dear friend has told her. Although Lois has experience when it comes to marriage, she also has experience when it comes to divorce. From this information, I infer that Lois may not have complete knowledge as to everything required to keep a healthy marriage. Malda should have kept this in mind and known that Mr. Matthews loved her for who she truly is and not what she does in the household.

In my retold version to promote the equality of Ford and Malda in their relationship, I had Ford suggest that they complete a project together showing that both of their artistic views are of high quality.

ā€œMalda always shows a way of how passionate she was as an artist…We all like music, which was a powerful statement to us. I asked her if she would work with me on a piece for a project about her interest in art. But, it never came about.ā€

In this quote, it shows that Mr.Matthews was interested in Maldaā€™s intellect. He admits that he likes her work by wanting to work with her. This was a way they both have similar or mutual work ethnicity. He did not worry about if she was able to cook and clean, he liked Malda because she had a desire of making something out of her life. As stated towards the ending of both of the stories. He technically tells her that he would love her unconditionally or no matter what she does, but he would prefer she would follow her dreams at being an artist and showing her talent to the world. In both versions he told her about his experience with domestic work and he wouldn’t give up following his artistic dream to cook and he wouldnā€™t want her to either. He goes on to say

ā€œWhat would you think of me if I gave up my hard long years of writing for the easy competence of a well-paid cook!”

In conclusion, there are noticeable differences between the retold version and the original version. Most of these differences stem from the change in narration from Maldaā€™s point of view to Fordā€™s point of view. By changing the point of view, we are able to enhance the understanding of Fordā€™s feelings towards Malda for the reader. In both versions we see the different relationships with Lois. In addition, with the retold version you are able to get a better sense of understanding from another characterā€™s perspective about what they have been thinking or wondering from another angle.