“The Metamorphosis”

While reading “The Metamophosis,” I was aware that the narrator had implied that Gregor Samsa was awake at the beginning of the story.   However, as the story progressed and he remained a disgusting vermin I thought it was one of those dreams where Samsa was only dreaming that he had awaken.

The situation presented by Franz Kafka in the story is indeed disgusting.   It is also quite disturbing and very unrealistic. Regarding the story metaphorically does make it more easily tolerated.   I thought the vermin state which took away all the human qualities and functions of Samsa that both himself and his family loved, and left him helpless and trapped was a symbol of issues Samsa was facing in real life.

As I  read the story I realized Samsa was under  a great deal of stress and anxiety because his mom, dad and sister depended on him solely financially.   He apparently hated his job, but could not quit.  However he was hopeful when he stated on page 14, “Well, there is still hope; once I’ve got the money together to pay off my parents debt to him – another five or six years…….then I will make the big change.”  Its as if he gained this vermin state where he is of no use to his family to see what their response would be like if he quit his job and was no longer able to provide for them.

I believe “The Metamorphosis,” is also an allegory, but in a different way than “Young Goodman Brown.”  The vermin state could be interpreted to have some moral meaning.   Before his transformation  Samsa appeared to be somewhat okay with the arrangement to take care of his family.   However, at such a young age he was also tired of this huge responsibility and financial obligation.  He felt trapped.   I think before he transformed  he was subconsciously thinking about what it would be like to be free of all the responsibilities he had.  He apparently needed to see how he would be treated if he could no longer bear the burden of the family.  The treatment he received in his vermin state has some moral meaning.   The family including his dear sister seem to turn on him rather quickly but when he earned money every one loved him and were comfortable and happy with him.  He was once their pride and joy but now with this transformation he was now a hideous creature that repulsed and shamed them.

As I read the story I could picture Samsa as a vermin.   I felt repulsed but at the same time I felt sorry for him.  I could easily visualize him waking up and discovering his new body and trying to figure out how it worked.  The story reminded me of a Science Fiction movie.  The use of the word kafkaesque indicates the nightmarish qualities of the story.   Because of these qualities I kept reading the story anticipating that Samsa was about to wake up, but he never did.