Scruples

Scruples (Verb)

Scruple — A feeling that stops you from doing something you think is wrong.

Source; Merriam – Webster’s Dictionary

‱ This word was found in paragraph 15 on page 2.
‱ Date of class discussion: Feb 11th 2015.
‱ Title of Handout: Young Goodman Brown.

Passage: “friend,” said the other, exchanging his slow pace for a full stop, “having kept covenant by meeting thee here, it is my purpose now to return whence I came. I have scruples, touching the matter thou wot’st of.”

When reading the story Young Goodman Brown I stumbled across a word that caused some confusion in my understanding of this passage (15). The passage took place in the woods with Goodman Brown and Goody Cory making their way to their destination through a dense woodsy area. While walking through the woods it was said that Goodman had scruples. “..It is my purpose now to return whence I came. I have scruples, touching the matter thou wot’st of.” This gave no meaning to the paragraph due to my lack of knowledge of the nature of its meaning. Upon further research it was found that “scruples” is said to be the feeling you have when something simply does not seem right. This shined light upon the story by giving me the understanding that Goodman Brown was being forced to go along on the trip with Goody Cory. Another term is that he was being peer pressured into acting in a way he would genuinely prefer not to. This also shows readers from the initial portion of the story that what was awaiting them at the end of the story might be more than what they all have anticipated.