Sandra Cisneros, “Woman Hollering Creek”

In Sandra Cisneros, “Woman Hollering Creek”, telenovelas play a big role in the their lives. After reading the story I noticed that Cleofilas dream life was probably like the lives of the women from the telenovelas. Where she grew up, there isn’t a lot to do. Its not very exciting. In telenovelas theres always a lot going on and the protagonists that are in love always end up together. You can tell that the telenovelas influenced her a lot because she would compare certain parts of her life to them. She would watch the way the women would do their hair and make up and would even buy a hair dye to get the actresses hair color. The love aspect of the telenovelas influenced her the most. She compared how love should be in real life compared to them, although that’s not how it really turned out. She didn’t realize that love isn’t always like the telenovelas until she saw how damaging it was for her to have an abusive husband. I think that Cleofilas always wanted her life to be like a telenovela, but life doesn’t work that way. I don’t think she ever pictured her life to be how it turned out. I think this is why she wanted to leave her husband. The telenovelas seemed to give her life lessons, and it looks like she would take mental notes.