Final Exam drafting

Instructions for the final exam:

1. identify the title of the text,
  2. identify the author,
  3. identify the speaker/thinker of the passage
  4. Then, in one paragraph, interpret and analyze the passage, calling attention to specific details and words in the passage.
  5. in another paragraph, apply your analysis of the passage to the argument the text as a whole is making.
  6. in another paragraph, compare how a moment/scene/event in another text deals with a similar issue or theme you identified in the argument. Be as specific as possible, including details and paraphrasing that moment since you cannot provide the passage itself.

Like our midterm exam, the final exam will be made collaboratively. Reply to this post with what you think are the most representative passages that you and your classmates will want to write about for the final exam BY END OF DAY TUESDAY. Keep in mind that you just chose a passage for your video presentation–you might post that as your choice for the final exam.

To be determined–so add your thoughts to your comment:

# of quotations on the exam

# of identifications to be completed:

# required for texts read since the midterm:

# required for texts read before the midterm:

should there be any extra credit?

8 thoughts on “Final Exam drafting

1. “They ran me into Emergency and then they put me up here,” she lowered her voice, “along with the nuts.” Then she said, “What’s the matter with you?” I turned her my full face, with the bulging purple and green eye. “I tried to kill myself.” The woman stared at me. Then, hastily, she snatched up a movie magazine from her bed table and pretended to be reading. “-“The Bell Jar” by Sylvia Plath

“We didn’t like each other all that much at first, but nobody else wanted to play with us because we weren’t real orphans with beautiful dead parents in the sky. We were umped. Even the New York City Puerto Ricans the upstate Indians ignored us.”-“Recitatif” By Tony Morrison

12 quotations
    6 completed
    4 passages from texts prior to midterm
    8 passages from text post midterm
    yes to extra credit

I think we should focus of the stories we discussed in class. We didn’t talk about all stories, but the ones we did talk about, we got a chance to break down the text. The information we learned would be helpful on the final.

2. Professions for women
    Virginia Wolf

“I will describe her as shortly as I can, she is intensely sympathetic, she was immensely charming, she was utterly unselfish, and excelled in the difficult arts of family life. She sacrifices herself daily”

15 passages 9 completed
    3 passages prior midterm
    6 passages post midterm
    Yes extra credit

3. “But what she has been waiting for, has been whispering and sighing and giggling for, has been anticipating since she was old enough to lean against the window displays of gauze and butterflies and lace, is passion. Not the kind on the cover of the Alarma! magazines, mind you, where the lover is photographed with the bloody fork she used to salvage her good name. But passion in its purest crystalline essence. The kind the books and songs and tele-novelas describe when one finds, finally, the great love of one’s life, and does whatever one can, must do, at whatever the cost.”

Women Hollering Creek

Sandra Cisneros

In the short story Women Hollering Creek by Sandra Cisneros, Cleofilas the main character dreams of a greater romance with passion, the kinds that she always watches on soap operas. Pure and delicate just like the crystalline essence. Just like the great love that is in the books and love songs. Her relationship with her husband is nothing like she had hoped. She gets married at a young age to a man who she thought was the great love of her life and imagined they would have a marriage filled with love and passion. The life she had after marriage is one filled with abuse at the hands of her husband. She finds courage run away from her abusive husband and move back home.

When comparing this to The Intimate Apparel by Lynn Nottage, the main character Esther remains lonely as the others in the boarding house marry and move away. She longs for a husband and a future. Her plan and dream was to find the right man and open up a beauty parlor with the money she was saving. Then she decides to marry George who she only got to know through his mails. Later she found out he was not the man his letters persuaded her into thinking he would be. Her reality of happiness and marriage was not what she hoped for in this rushed marriage decision. Esther leaves George and then returns to boarding school and determined to use her talent to create her own future all over again.

Both characters longing for a marriage with love and passion soon found out the reality of not all marriages are like what they seems to be. They both left their husbands which made them realize the power within themselves.

20 quotations
    6 completed
    10 passages from texts prior to midterm
    10 passages from text post midterm
    YES! to extra credit

4. 15 Quotes
    5 Completed
    7 Before Midterm
    8 After Midterm
    Yes to extra credit

“A pad is something you can write in, as in sheets of paper bound together. It is also what you bleed on when you first start. When I grew older, a pad was someone’s house.” A short essay on being

“I think it was the day before Maggie fell down that we found out our
    mothers were coming to visit us on the same Sunday” Recitatif

• The Bell Jar
      “How did I know that someday-at college, in Europe, somewhere, anywhere-the bell jar, with its stifling distortions, wouldn’t descend again?” (Chapter 20)

5. “I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn’t quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn’t make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.”

15 Quotations
    10 To be identified
    #6 from before midterm
    # 9 from after midterm
    YES please extra credit