Which version?

When we read “Young Goodman Brown” by Nathaniel Hawthorne in a few day, which version should we use? Because the story is no longer under copyright, it is available in the public domain. When I Google the title, several full-text versions are at the top of the results list. Which version should we use? Look at (no need to read much now–that will come later) these four versions and write a comment in response to this post arguing for one of these versions–and against another if appropriate. Be sure to include specific details that make one version seem better than another. Think about your experience on the site, which you find reliable or unreliable, which are more attractive, which have the kind of extra information you might want to have, etc. What else might help you make the decision.

Please respond by Friday, 2/1.

Option 1: Electronic Text Center, University of Virginia Library

Option 2: Rutgers University, Edited by Jack Lynch

Option 3: The Literature Network

Option 4: Project Gutenberg

21 thoughts on “Which version?

• Urgyen, could you say more? what about Yelwasli’s opinion do you agree with? What do you think is better about Option 2, and why? I’d like to understand everyone’s reasons, so make sure that you don’t simply vote but also explain your rationale.

• First of all, when you open the page it pops out exactly like a normal text page. And there is the paragraph number in order that we don’t have to count the paragraph number as you did in the class. And finally, the font is perfect. When students open this page on android app they will probably see it perfectly.

• In term of electronic version, i prefer option 3 because the layout and the graphic really catch my eye and its neat too. In term of print, i prefer option 2 because of clearly text, no disturation and organize paragraph with number on it that really help us to cite the paper. Option 1, 2, and 4 contain same element and organization, but option 2 stand out because of the number paragraph stated which help reader to follow.

• It would help if i were to refrence a specific paragraph then i would easily say the number, in the case of a word that i didnt understand or i could find the paragraph faster if a classmate was reading and i had to follow on.

• well anytime you read something and there is a number attached to it, it makes it quite easy to go back and read it especially if you underline the key words in that text. Not withstanding that I prefer option 3 because of the way they’ve arranged it. The paragraphs have been arranged such that it usually contains one major idea which is developed on with the paragraphs that follows.

1. I think all of the four options are the same. The only different one is the second option. Each sentence is numbered and i have to agree with the others that it would be helpful for people to locate specific parts of the story easily. Personally, i always get lost whenever i’m searching for a specific part of the story and i know i’m not the only one. As far of the language, its understandable, I think each version is the same, its not hard to understand.

2. From all the options I had checked above, I think Option 2: Rutgers University, Edited by Jack Lynch is the best option out of all 4. I like the way they organize the sentences by giving numbers to every new lines, so in this way, it would be much easier for us to find the context when we need to find the information. All of the options provided same size font except option 3 which is smaller font.
    I also like how option 4 beings every new sentence with the indents, this way it’s easier for us to know when and where is the beginning of each sentence. But compare that with option 2, i think option 2 is much more convenient.

3. I feel the 2nd version is the best choice, since it has numbered sentences which will be easier for us in class or when we are trying to help each other find words for the glossary. The 1st choice wasn’t so bad because it had separated the paragraphs by pages yet I still feel the 2nd choice will the best one for all of us. It would be much easier to understand if we were talking about a certain word or situation we can just refer to the number.

4. I agree with everyone that the second option would be easier to work with since it has the paragraph numbers for reference. I believe that with the paragraph numbers we would be able to refer to a specific point on the reading with ease and this would allow for faster communication between everyone. It would certainly be simpler, when writing an essay, to refer to a particular paragraph. Also, I found that the print outs of the second option was much more pleasing to the eye, which made it easier to read and follow. I would definitely prefer this version over the others.

5. In terms of format, I think all the versions are almost the same except that in version 2 the paragraphs are numbered which can give the readers an easy access to reference back to the text. Therefore, I suggest that we use version 2 because it will help the students understand the text much better. For instance, if a student have to ask a question or comment about the text, by using version 2 he or she will be more confortable to refers back to the text.

6. I like version 2 simply because as soon as I opened it, it was easy on the eyes, and I think the paragraph numbers pretty useful. I like the font, size and overall presentation.

7. I would have to agree with everyone else on options 2. It easier to follow and will help us better during class discussions on the story. The letters are clear and a good size.

8. I looked at all four forms of the story and the way they were structured. They all follow pretty much the same format. All versions are the exact same but look different because of the size of the web page they are printed upon. However i do agree with everyone else that the second version is probably the best choice due to the fact that all of the paragraphs are numbered. This will give us a great resource when discussing the story in class. By using version two we will be able to save time and make sure everyone is on the same “page” because we will all be looking for a paragraph number and not an individual word somewhere in the large body of the story.

9. The 2nd option is better because the paragraphs are well arranged with paragraph numbers. Like my friends have said it will help us to refer the paragraphs quickly. The white background and the fonts make the page more readable compare to other options which have a colored background. There are not any sorts of distractions like we have in the 3rd option. The long list of links on the left side of the 3rd option was kind of distracting me. So I will also go for the 2nd option.

10. I believe that the second option is the best out of the four choices because the text is easier to read then the other three and the paragraphs are numbered. The other three had a smaller text which made it more difficult to read. With the paragraphs being numbered it makes it easier to reference back to if needed to discuss something from the short story.