Satisfied

Transitive verb

Satisfied – to carry out the terms of (something, such as a contract)

The word Satisfied was used on page 6 of  “Quicksand” by Nella Larsen, is a fitted word to use to describe my topic of  racism, because no matter where Helga goes she is still not accepted by people. In the novel the word was used in the quotes “And then he had spoken of contentment, embellishing his words with scriptural quotations and pointing out to them that it was their duty to be satisfied the estate to which they had been called, hewers of wood and drawers of water” this show that the negros or mix race should have been satisfied with how they are treated in society.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/satisfy

1 thought on “Satisfied

1. Jody R. Rosen

This is such an important passage to understand because it establishes Helga’s position on race very early in Quicksand. Two points about your glossary entry: 1-you’ve left out a word. It should read “in the estate”; and 2-it doesn’t seem like you’ve chosen the correct definition of satisfy. You’ve chosen one that I would use to establish that you completed all parts of an assignment–you satisfied the requirements. But here, the preacher wants them to be content with what they have. Re-read the definitions to see which is the better fit. I hope that helps you understand the passage better.