Buoyed

Buoyed

Past tensed for buoy

Verb

This word is defined as to keep (someone or something) afloat.
“I let the water buoy up my weight”

i found this definition on https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/buoy

I came a upon this word in ” I Always Write About My Mother When I Start to Write” by Bia Lowe

The sentence that this word is in is ” I wanted to lay them, breathtaking, at her feet, and by doing so bind her heart to mine, ever after to be buoyed Up like a raft on a calmed ocean. ”

Now that I learned the real meaning of this word I truly understand the passage because in the sentence Bia talks about the raft being buoyed in a calmed ocean. Bia talks about being heart to heart to the mother so I see it as two people all alone with each other and every thing else just fades away. So Stating that she wanted to be like a raft floating in the ocean is like being deeply in love. It’s this feeling that no one else matters anymore.

1 thought on “Buoyed

1. Jody R. Rosen

What do you think it means that the narrator in Lowe’s story wants her heart buoyed to her mother’s? It’s not just that they would be alone together, but that they would be connected in a certain way. Can you think more about what a buoy does to help you understand this metaphor?