MoCADA Rebranding Process

Process of rebranding for MoCADA, an African art museum in Brooklyn was very helpful and made me rethink my design process. Since branding is more than just a logo, I believe  that there are always careful and intense research involved as TODA shows in the video.

I always research and look for references before I go into sketching ideas. I can’t come up with anything without this process because design is something that can’t be done without concepts. However, as it’s mentioned, knowing your budget is very important in this phase. As for MoCADA, their logo was already embedded into architecture of building so changing it would be costly exercise. So the designers considered it while coming up with ideas, but few ideas they brought to the client were something that would require the change of the logo also, not based on what they want. It was interesting to me because I wouldn’t propose any of ideas go over client’s budget. However, I began to think it’s a good way to discover new ideas as one of the designers described that showing a range of ideas that are comfortable, close in and all the way out to something out of their comfort zone is important.

However, I think that proposing ideas that I already know clients wouldn’t feel right is kind of risky because clients are more likely to think that I don’t understand what they want or don’t want. Instead, I believe that designers have to get out of their comfort zones when they design. For instance, when working on a book cover and “know” where the title should be placed, putting aside any bias or assumptions and trying different composition can sometimes open eyes to new possibilities or ideas. You can also show your clients your work process and let them know that you have different ideas and tried everything you came up with.