Bio

A Little About Me

At the end of this academic year, I will have a BS in Technology Education from CUNY’s NYC College of Technology.  To date, I have completed 103 credits with a GPA of 3.97.  I also hold an Associate Degree in Construction Technology from Coastline Community College in California.  Much of my education, however, has come from the seven years I have spent in the U.S. Navy.  From the recovery efforts following Hurricane Katrina, to the war in Iraq, to managing million dollar construction projects in Guam, my time in the service has taught me a great deal.

Within the broad scope of Technology Education, my areas of expertise lie in Design and Drafting, and Construction Systems.   Graphic Communication is an important area of technological study that curiosity has drawn me to explore in more detail.  I have taken a course in Publication Media that taught me basic skills in such programs as Adobe Photoshop and InDesign.  In my brief study of Advertisement and Graphic Communication, I have grown to appreciate the work of many designers, both graphic and industrial.  Two individuals who I find very inspiring are Paula Scher for her work with the Public Theater and Jonathan Ive with the many genius designs for which he is accredited.

As a teacher, I see myself working with middle school students who are just discovering the world of technology in a way that is truly meaningful.  Introducing young people to the design process and providing them with an opportunity to put their limitless creativity to work is a rewarding experience.   Furthermore, being able to combine graphic and industrial design will enable me to offer a more complete education to my students.  I look forward to learning more about the history and modern practices of Graphic Communication so that I may incorporate it into my own future classroom.