Researching the Truth Hiding in Plain Sight

The outsiders – Movie review

The movie The outsiders is based off the novel written by S.E. Hinton. Directed by  Francis Ford Coppola. The movie came out on March 25, 1983. Its known today as a classic and was very successful when it first came out. The budget was 10 million dollars and they gained back 33 million. The movie itself and the cast was nominated for many awards but never won.

The outsiders takes place in the poor side of town in Tulsa, Oklahoma. With two gangs the Greasers and the Socs. Greasers live on the north side of town. They are less fortunate than the Socs and had it a lot harder. The Socs lived on the south side, came from wealth and had it made. And they never let the Greasers forget that. The movie is centered on one person. Ponyboy Curtis. A 14 year old greaser who lives with his two older brother, Darrel and Sodapop. The movie focuses on how him and his friend Johnny Cade ran away for killing a Soc that was attacking Ponyboy.

This my FAVORITE movie of all time. One I love old movies. And two this whole movie is dramatic and heart felt and its all about self growth.  I think the point of the film was to showcase these two topics:  being at the wrong place at the wrong time and appreciating those around you. You see Ponyboy coming of age and learning how to change his attitude towards his older brother.

Howard Rosenberg of Los Angeles Times:

“Although the characters are too inconsistent to be entirely believable and often act too inanely to be respected, there are enough nice moments here to lift “The Outsiders” above the ordinary and give it promise. Yet “The Outsiders” depicts a pretty dismal world, giving us corrupt, sadistic cops and rotten rich who spend their waking hours plotting how to oppress the poor and dirty-fingernailed. What’s more, even the show’s young target audience may ultimately tire of week after week of greasers and socs sneering and snarling at each other.”

Peter Travers of Rolling Stone:

“Coppola has given the film a fullness that makes it feel freshly minted. Ponyboy, quoting Robert Frost’s poem about how nothing gold (meaning youth) ever lasts, is set against an impossibly golden sunset that always threw me, as did much of the florid dialogue.”

1. jasneily

As a young adult, I really love old movies but I despise boring old films where I can’t connect with any of the characters. However, when I read your review I got a sense of “Wow, I want to see this movie.” Although I found dramatic movies a little bit too cliche if it touches my heart I would definitely recommend to someone else. Based on your review this movie seems incomparable because it shows a sense of self-growth that a lot of teen movies do not imply.