If you can, be sure to see Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 2021) before class on Monday, either in the theatre or on HBO Max.
- Ali Karjoo-Ravary, ‘ Is Dune a White Savior Narrative?’, Slate 26 October 2021). Frank Herbert’s novel drew from Islam to critique the idea of the messianic Western man. Does the movie?
- Katherine (Hyun-Choo) Everett, ‘Reckoning with and Remaking “Dune”: The Limitations of World-Making in Sci-Fi’, The Lantern (3 March 2021)
- Audio: ‘Matthew Hughey on His Tripartite Methodological Approach to Understanding Film’ (2015). In this episode we are joined by Matthew Hughey. Matthew is an Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Connecticut. He is the author of number books [sic] including [The] White Savior Film: Content, Critics and Consumption, The Wrongs of the Right: Language, Race, and the Republican Party in the Age of Obama, and White Bound: Nationalists, Antiracists, and the Shared Meanings of Race. Matt joins us to discuss his multi-methods approach to studying film, film criticism, and film consumption.
- Q&A: TBA
- Reading Notes for Next Time
For Next Time
- Matthew Desmond and Mustafa Emirbayer (2016), Ch. 8 (‘Aesthetics’): ‘The Racialization of Art Worlds’; ‘Cultural Appropriation’; ‘The Sociology of Art, the Art of Sociology’. keywords: antiracist appropriation; cultural appropriation (pp. 308-314); highbrow and lowbrow culture (pp. 305-308); racist appropriation; white gaze, the.