Nice to meet you all! I forgot to mention that I’m available after class during office hours on Mondays from 13:00-14:00 (1pm-2pm) in Namm 600.
- Ground Rules for the Classroom
- Matthew Desmond and Mustafa Emirbayer (2016), Ch. 1 (‘Race in the Twenty-First Century’): ‘A Biological Reality?’; ‘Whiteness’; ‘Race Is a Social Reality’; ‘Ethnicity and Nationality’; Thinking Like a Sociologist’
- Low-Stakes Writing Assignment: What Are Your Goals for the Course?
- How to Submit the Semester Goals HW
- Remaining Introductions and Attendance
- Prologue: What Is Sociology?
- Review of the Syllabus
- Q&A: Racism, Whiteness, and Thinking Like a Sociologist
- Review for the Final
- For Next Time
For Next Time
- HW Due: Semester Goals
- Matthew Desmond and Mustafa Emirbayer (2016), Ch. 2 (‘The Invention of Race’): ‘Modernity Rising’; ‘Colonization of the Americas’; ‘The Invention of Whiteness and Blackness’