Updated Tuesday, Sept. 1

Hi Students,

1—Thanks to everyone who volunteered to read or asked questions or answered questions. I wrote down the names of all those students—they get maximum participation points for the day. Your ability to talk is so important for the energy and pacing of our class. Thanks!

2—Please register on OpenLab, and then join my class. Make sure to bookmark the URL for our class website, if you have not done so already.

3—Homework: 3 Items:

First: read “The Lottery,” by Shirley Jackson. Find this story on the “Readings” menu tab—near the bottom.

Second, in your notes, answer at least two questions in each of the five categories in the 5-Part Reading Tool handout (also in the Readings menu tab). Pay special attention to plot and also this question: does this story have a lesson?

Third, in a sentence or two, describe one example of the gothic that you recently encountered. It can be anything: song, advertisement, clothing, art, photograph, film, etc.

4—ZOOM INFORMATION for Wednesday’s class:

I’VE TALKED TO MY COLLEAGUES, AND I ‘VE MADE A CHANGE TO MY POLICY: NOW WE WILL USE THE SAME ZOOM LINK AND PASSWORD FOR THE REST OF THE SEMESTER. THE LINK, ID, AND PASSWORD WORK FOR BOTH MONDAYS AND WEDNESDAYS. THIS WILL BE EASIER FOR ALL OF US. (Sorry it took me so long to do this)

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89543948566?pwd=R0s4THNlTW00OEFKN04zWkVoZ3FWdz09

Meeting ID: 895 4394 8566

Passcode: GoodGothic

**Email any questions that you might have.

Best wishes,

Prof. Scanlan