There was not a lot I could find for this project but I figured I’d try to look for something that seemed a little bit gothic in my small apartment

The first thing I was able to find were this pair of gargoyles on the bookshelf. It was interesting to look at and it was the closest gothic item/element I could find in the space. That and they were reading so it kind of fits into the class well seeing this is a literature class.

halloween foam cat used to hold candy

The closest thing that I came up with was my bedroom since it has low lighting and it was very plain. However, I focused on my bookshelf, specifically this foam cat I use for Halloween. It looks friendly, but with it’s green eyes, it looks like it could jump out at someone even though it’s just a plain item used to hold Halloween candy. I immediately thought of the Black Cat with this because like Poe, I used to be repulsed by the black cat and it used to make me uncomfortable even though it’s just a foam cat. Now I seem ok with having it around.

I would kind of consider this the architectural uncanny because this is part of my apartment and it is part of my living situation. However, at night it seems very different and dark and it leaves me vulnerable. Especially since the door is open constantly, and there aren’t cameras, it still feels like I’m being watched. This was difficult because I couldn’t find anything that really fit the gothic definition besides that foam cat.