Walking through a street at night in my neighborhood. Reminds me of the Invisible man when he came across the tall blonde man.

Dark, cold and windy.
The third-floor window displayed in this picture reminds me of chapter 4 of “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde” when a maid looking through a window witnessed the death of Sir Danvers Carew done by Mr. Hyde.
This photograph was not done intentionally blur. This is the back yard of my apartment building where my landlord park his vehicle. It was accidentally token blurry.

Throughout our Gothic literature class, we’ve learned different concepts to better understand the meaning of the word “gothic” and we’ve achieved enough knowledge to understand and analyze certain situations, architecture, and even basic images related to gothic literature.

Throughout this gothic space post, a series of images are shown. The first two images were taken while walking down a dark street close to my neighborhood with the first image approaching a street light. While reading “The Invisible Man”, the incident that occurred between him and the blonde man is one thing that I still remember and the way I created the scene in my mind is pretty similar to the picture taken above. walking down a dark street and accidentally bumping into a stranger under a bright street light that brights up only that specific spot while the rest of the street remains dark. I personally think this space can be described as uncanny because it is reality, something we can see, a dark street but it is strange.

For the third image, while touring my neighborhood, this specific building grabbed my attention. While there are bright lights around that building, in particular, it is somehow still dark due to the building on the right side with the dark windows which gives a sense and creates a lot of dark spots in the area. This image stood out to me because it reminded me of chapter four of “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde”, where a maid was looking through a window and witnessed the murder of Sir Danvers Carew done by Mr. Hyde. In this image, we can imagine the maid on the third floor of the building on the left looking through the window while Mr. Hyde beat Sir Danvers Carew to death on the next side of the street (from where the picture was taken)

Last but not least, the fourth image is the backyard of my apartment building, where my landlord parks his vehicle in the dark. While during the day it is quite bright due to sunlight, at night it is pretty dark. I did not take this image blurry intentionally, it was quite cold that night and my hands were frozen, I did not notice the picture was blurry, but afterward while analyzing, it ended up turning out into a good photo. Dark, brick walls, iron fenced windows and the overall color of the image creates this dark feeling of terror that could make us wonder if the building is haunted by looking at the dark windows. If we let our imagination fly beyond us, we could imagine people trapped inside this building tormented by an evil force causing this “random person” who took this picture to feel horrified if he actually saw it happening, even though it is not reality, I feel this image could be fantastic. “The Fall of the House of Usher”, the appearance of the House of Usher can be related to this image.