A City Tech OpenLab course site

Victoria Isaac’s Coffee House Post 2

In Chapter 3 of “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde”, Jekyll, the doctor, and Mr. Utterson are all having a conversation. They seem to be talking about someone who isn’t in the room currently but they want to be rid of them. Late in the chapter Dr. Jekyll has a strange request. He writes the following: “I don’t ask for that[…] I only ask for justice; I only ask you to help him for my sake, for when I am no longer here.” Right off the bat, this sounds like his final wishes because he mentions when he is no longer here. This means that something might happen to him later in this story.

The “him” that Dr. Jekyll is referring to Mr. Hyde. I believe that the “him” is Mr. Hyde because they have been together for so long and Mr. Hyde hasn’t really liked him throughout this entire story. However, Mr. Hyde sounds like someone who shouldn’t exist. He sounds like something that shouldn’t be alive or around in this world yet he is still around. At the same time, even though it sounds like Dr. Jekyll doesn’t want Hyde around, it really sounds like he cares for him and wants to try and help him.

This sounds ironic because the name Hyde sounds like hide. That means he wants to be invisible and wants to keep himself hidden from the rest of the world. However, Dr. Jekyll wants to find him because he deeply cares about him. However, this will be difficult because according to this chapter, Dr. Jekyll is the only one who has actually seen him so far. Nobody else has seen him but Dr. Jekyll wants to try and find him since he cares about him. Overall, it makes this chapter confusing but more fun to read at the same time.

Mr. Hyde is “small and wicked-looking” according to the police officer but those were all the details we could get. There was not much details about him we could get from him.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Hi Victoria. Good post on “him” and on the ironies in this chapter. I know it’s confusing, but the confusions will get resolved in the end. I promise.
    -Prof. Scanlan