Ethics is defined as the principle that governs an individual’s behavior or conducting an activity that is either right or wrong. To go more in-depth with ethics, there are different types of normative ethics: deontology, virtue, utilitarian, feminist, and global.  The two ethics I will be addressing are virtue and utilitarianism ethics. Virtue ethics focuses on the morality of life, motives, relationships, and even themselves. It is also called “self-centered” and it does not guide how one should act. As for utilitarian ethics, it shows the right action, morally that produces the most good. its purpose is to make life better by doing good things (pleasure and happiness) and not focus on the bad things (pain and unhappiness). The film, Othello, directed by Oliver Parker, and the written version Othello by William Shakespeare, shows virtue and utilitarianism ethics.

Iago is the antagonist who uses his manipulation, yet honesty to determine his own utilitarianism ethics. He thrives on deceitfulness and uses everyone around him to fulfill his masterplans. In the written form, In Act, I, scene I, Iago tells Roderigo that he hates Othello because Othello did not give him the promotion as a lieutenant, but instead gave it to Cassio, despite having zero experience in leading men in battle. Iago also reveals that he is going to serve under Othello so he can advantage of him. Iago states, “Heaven is my judge, not I for love and duty.” This shows that he is willing to morally isolate himself to create a utilitarian outcome. This begins Iago’s utilitarianism ethics to follow his own rules and self-interest to plot against Othello and Cassio. In both versions of Othello, it shows how careless he is for others, but he devotes all of his time seeking revenge and not stopping until he is satisfied. He loves to see people downfalls to lift his pride. For instance, Cassio gets drunk with Montano and walks away. Iago begins talking with Montano advising that though Cassio is a great soldier, he fears that Cassio has a big responsibility because of his drinking problem.  When Montano tries to prevent a fight from happening between Cassio and Roderigo, he gets stabbed by Cassio. Othello comes out demanding to know what’s happening. Since Cassio and Montano could not speak, Iago intervened and faulted Cassio for the brawl and Othello fired Cassio as a lieutenant. Iago’s plan is accomplished which means his pride grows.

Desdemona is someone who shows her virtuous ethics throughout both the film and the written form. She is warm-hearted and caring, but her unproven innocence led to her demise by Othello. Due to Iago’s lie, Othello believed that she had an affair with Cassio, which she did not. She always claimed to be very faithful to her husband and loved him unconditionally. She is often levelheaded when it comes to solving conflict. For example, in Act 3, Scene 3, she says, “Do not doubt, Cassio, but I will have my lord and you again as friendly as you were.” Desdemona wants to reconcile Cassio’s loyalty with Othello. This was after Othello fired Cassio as lieutenant because of an altercation between him and Montano. In Act 4, Scene 2, towards Desdemona’s last moments before death, she says to Emilia and Iago, “His unkindness may defeat my life. But never taint my love.” This statement shows how committed she still is to Othello, despite his attitude he gave her once Iago tells him about her fake infidelity. Desdemona also sacrificed herself and her reputation for Othello. When Emilia finds her almost lifeless, Desdemona said how she was not murdered but in fact committed suicide, even after Othello confessed that he did the crime.

One major literary technique that William Shakespeare uses in the writing is symbolism. A handkerchief was the significant symbol of Othello’s love gift. It was gifted to Desdemona and proof that he loves her. It was patterned with strawberries on a white, silk background, woven by an Egyptian woman who gave it to Othello’s mother. The handkerchief is attached to some sort of myth: “…while she kept it. Twould make her amiable and subdue my father Entirely to her love, but if she lost it, or made gift of it, my father’s eye Should hold her loathèd and his spirits should hunt.” This shows how virtuous this gift is and how it plays in a marriage. If Desdemona lost it or gave it away, Othello will not forgive her and divorce her. In the film version, Oliver Parkers use close-up shots to convey the character’s emotions more consciously. For example, at the beginning of the film, Iago looks into the camera, describing his revenge against Desdemona, Cassio, and Othello in a soft, sinister tone voice. He also questions himself, “how am I a villain?” The music in this monologue sounds very suspenseful and dark, which matches the night sky and dark area in the background. Towards the end of this scene, he comfortably touches the hot stick that creates fire, without any hesitation.

Overall, Oliver Parker’s film is the radical translation of William Shakespeare’s book. The film reproduces the plot of the betrayal and utilitarian motives of Iago, Othello’s vulnerability, and Desdemona’s virtue ethics. It also paid attention to each important detail that gives context to what happened in each scene. Both texts show how one’s moral value dictates one’s behavior and how it is justified as right or wrong.