SIYU WU

Research Prospectus

English 1121 (Prof. Scanlan)

4 / 27, 2020

My favorite reading in the five is the “New York Day Women” wrote by Edwidge Danticat,the reason is simple,it remind me,I might not know everything about the person who I love and the person around me,always to being stereotype to them just by their looking,way to speak,action, never truly to understand them. I must change myself to accept and understand others. The story “New York Day Women” set a stage in Manhattan of New York City,our narrator accidently saw her mother is strolling in Manhattan during her lunch time. A person who never shop outside of Brooklyn now walking in Manhattan. The curiosity force narrator to follow her mother,and find out the unknow side of her mother. In this short story there were only 2 main characters. Narrator,a daughter forma Haiti immigrant family,a white-collar work at an advertisement company. The mother of narrator,a Haiti immigrant. The story is short,but charters make many decision and choice in different situation. For example, our narrator decide to follow her mother because her curiosity,and give the sea to a pregnant lady after she change her mind because she think about her mother. The narrator mother decides to eat frankfurters which she know is not good for her high blood pressure and not to attend her daughter‘s parent teacher Association meetings,because she trust her daughter and don’t want to make her daughter feel shame because of her.

Most of choice or decision make by characters are following ethic. The narrator follows Deontology Ethics,Deontology Ethics. The mother of narrator follows Feminist Ethics and Deontology Ethics.