Rejoice and New Food!!!

Through this time of this epidemic crisis, the only thing that is not affected was my persistence in reading Chinese fiction novels. Reading Chinese novels has always been my mental food supplies and a way for me to relax from work. Through reading these fiction novels, I can find myself calmer and obtained a great amount of rejoicing when I discovered that update of these novels on the UUKanshu app was not greatly impacted by this epidemic. 

Besides rejoicing on the discovery that my mental food supply is not greatly impacted by COVID-19, I was also able to learn and make dishes with my mom and family. Making dishes has always been an exciting activity that I enjoyed doing. We were able to make steamed hotdog bun, crunchy and crispy fried taro, and clam rice noodle soup for breakfast. There is one interesting noodle dish that I learned from my mom was the combination of cold noodles and side dishes. Where you boil the noodle and then let it cool in cold water, and then you stir fry the meat and vegetables along with a spicy and sweet sauce. After that, we peel the skin of the cucumber that has been sitting in cold water for half an hour( cold water adds crispiness to the cucumber). Then, we cut the cucumber into juliennes, and then we mix the cold noodle, cooked meat vegetables together, and at last add on the cucumbers to finish off the dish. It was really fun and exciting making new dishes and trying to accomplish new things during this time of epidemic crisis. 

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Hi Andy,
    Great post about cooking. My stomach started growling as I read the details about the cold noodles and the cucumber process.
    Best,
    Sean

2. StephH

Hey Andy,
    I like how you are finding creative ways to relax and be in peace. It is crucial during these times to find something to keep you happy. The way you are talking about these novels intrigues me. If it can help ease the boredom, I will definitely try reading some. The rest of the post about cooking with your family and in detail was really cool and very relatable. It is great that you are bonding with your family, because it is also key to get through this pandemic. I related to this because I myself baked with my mom(more learning then actually helping) and we made bunch of desert items, like cake, cupcakes, cookies, and sweet bread. Keep finding more creative ways to chill.
    Best,
    Stepfan

• Zachary Mccallum

Hi Andy,

It’s awesome that your supply of mental food hasn’t been effected. I also find reading to be quite relaxing as well. In addition, I find it great that you’ve been cooking in the kitchen with your family. I’ve been doing the same as well. It’s great that you’re getting the chance to learn how to make new dishes. The food sounds amazing.

From Zach