SIYU WU

Journal 6

English 1121 (Prof. Scanlan)

4/27/2020

The reading “New York Day Women” wrote by Edwidge Danticat is my favorite short story out of the 5. The reason I love it,it is because this remain me as an immigrant family,I never think about my the feeling and thought in this foreign soil about my family member,what are they doing when I did not see them,the only person I care is myself.

This short story happens in a Haiti immigrant family. Our narrator,the daughter of a Haiti mother,accidentally saw her mother,a person who never will shop outside of Brooklyn,now is strolling Manhattan,during her lunch time. The curiosity force narrator to follow her mother,and find out the unknown side of her mother.

The story is setting a stage in Manhattan,also mention narrator’s mother is a person who never shop outside of Brooklyn,as the stage in the story,Manhattan it not just a random place, it is a symbol which symbolize the hidden side of for mother and the Brooklyn is symbolize old impression. The story happen in Manhattan mean the old impression have to change,due to the narrator did not know everything to her mother.

There were 2 charters in this story the mother and daughter,an young generation and old generation,the story is based on the view point of narrator,we can see this is represent the point of view of the new generation to old generation,but the story overthrow the old impression,led to the theme of this story——the unknown side of things. Brooklyn and Manhattan,2 borough in the same city,but have a huge difference. If we compare ,Manhattan to Brooklyn, Brooklyn just like a Slumdog,the wealth in Manhattan,the poor in Brooklyn,but they are in the same New York city. Every things can have 2 side you have to know both sides to generate a none-bias  view to a thing or person, otherwise we will case a stereotype or misunderstanding.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Siyi, thanks for your journal. Lot’s of ideas here. Please continue to work on proofing.
    -Sean