Journal 6 Brendan Gonzalez

Brendan Gonzalez 

Professor Scanlan 

Journal 6 

April 26, 2020 

“Say Hello, Wave Goodbye” by Tony Parsons is a short story about an immigration officer in the UK named Jaswinder  Smith but she goes by the name Jazz in the story. Jazz interacts with people traveling to the UK and reasons for their travels making sure it’s legit and with the right intentions and if the intentions aren’t right she holds them and they get asked to move to the side.  Out the five short stories I decided to pick this story because it caught my attention a little more than the others and the one main reason why is because I enjoy airports and traveling around. The main character is Jazz this story is mainly wrapped around her and her gut feelings on people that come up to her and  making the right decisions on permitting them into the UK and it’s also about how she interacts with everyone in certain situations Jazz shows sympathy for example with the girl Megan, Jazz sent her back but Jazz wasn’t rude she guy the girl hope because she was down “ just trust me on this one if he loves you, and if it’s meant to be, then he’ll wait okay?”. Jazz showed feelings towards her and I feel it’s a big part of her job dealing with people in certain situations and what vibe to give off with different people. Jazz had another situation when she had to use some type of force with a man bigger than her and actually took him down so knowing the type of attitude to give is a huge part of Jazz and her daily duty’s on the job of being a immigration officer for the UK.  

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Brendan, thanks for your journal. Solid summary.
    -Sean