Hi Class,

[BREAKING NEWS! I PUT UP MY FIRST VIDEO. GO TO VIDEOS MENU TAB…more are on the way. Have a great weekend even though it might be difficult]

First, thank you very much for emailing me and checking in. We are fine in my house–thanks so much for asking. I hope that all of you and your families are doing well.

1–RECALIBRATION PERIOD: This has been confusing for me and for most of City Tech. Here is what I believe is happening:

Recalibration begins today and last through Wed next week. Classes resume on Thursday. It’s a very short break. We start again on Thursday, April 2, and then we we go through the following Tuesday, April 7. Then we stop again April 8. We resume again the 13th.

Off:  Fri 3/27, Mo 3/30, Tu 3/31, W 4/1

On:  Th 4/2,  Fri 4/3, Mo 4/6, Tu 4/7 (Wed schedule)

Off: W 4/8, Thu 4/9,  Fri 4/10

On: M 4/13 and after

This means that I will grant all homework as being on time if you turn in today’s homework (Journal 5; explication homework–denotation/connotation; Virtual Coffeehouse Post) by next Thursday, April 2.

Also, I will update the assignment sheet or the Explication Essay.

The Explication Essay IS NOT DUE THIS WEEK. INSTEAD, IT WILL BE DUE IN (ABOUT) TWO WEEKS.

I also need to update the weekly schedule, and I’m still working out how to handle next week’s Weekly Folder.

2–ZOOM MEETING. I really really really want to see and hear everybody, so I’m thinking about changing around the office to more of a set classtime. From what I’ve heard from you all and from other teachers is that it is really beneficial to be able to see and hear each other LIVE AND IN PERSON! So, my goal is to organize a real classtime next Thursday morning where we all  drop in. It will not be graded or mandatory. My initial thoughts are to hold a CLASSTIME FOR THURSDAY, 4/2, FROM 9 – 10:30. I will go over homework, explication, and general questions and anwers.

3–EMAIL. Thank you for the many emails you have been sending. Please keep them coming. BUT I DO NEED TO EMPHASIZE EMAIL RULES: please treat emails as formal pieces of writing. I have been completely swamped with emails from all sides, and it helps to know what each email is about. My rules: each email that you send to me must have a clear subject; a greeting; a body paragraph (this can be short); and a signature.

My Example:

Subject Line: Sean’s explication homework, March 27

Greeting: Dear Prof. Scanlan,

Body: I’ve attached this week’s denotation/connotation homework to this email. It is a Google Doc. Let me know if it doesn’t come through.

Signature: Best wishes, Clara

4–I hope to have at least one short video posted by 5pm tonight.

Cheers,

Sean