Topic Proposal

Topic Proposal – will be added

Topic Proposal with Tentative Thesis Statement

The topic proposal introduces your readers to your knowledge of the topic, and it should be written as though it is the first page of your research paper. Explain your position on the subject, what more you would like to find out and why. It should be 1 page in length with two paragraphs. In paragraph 1, introduce your issue. Give a rough background on your knowledge of the specific topic you are going to address and an explanation of the conflict or tension surrounding your subject. Relate the topic you choose to one of the subjects covered in the lectures. Do not give your opinion in this paragraph. State the perspectives on the issue. In paragraph 2, express your opinion on the topic. Take a position, either pro or con on the issue you have just explained. End your proposal with a tentative thesis statement that includes the core information of paragraph 1 and 2. Your main message from paragraph one and your assertion on the issue.

Before you begin writing ask yourself questions about your intended subject, start with the subject that appeals to you from the course syllabus then an aspect of your broader topic. Use the research guidelines posted on Blackboard to help you come up with questions. Respond to these questions by brainstorming, freewriting and using the discussion tab in OpenLab with classmates. Be prepared to have your perspective shift. On the OpenLab, “Discussion” tab I would like you to engage in metatext (writing about your writing) about your Topic Proposal draft.  By this I mean have a discussion with your reader as you develop your draft. Identify problems with your text to your reader, a kind of open letter, solicit feedback on your points. As you develop your draft on OpenLab you may ask explicit questions, e.g. I am very pleased with the controversy I selected but I am not sure if I should relate it to a copyright or is it more of a fair use issue? My draft in paragraph talks about the situation but my opinion about the issue I raise wavers. Any ideas?