Fall 2016 - Professor Kate Poirier

Introducing Gary Zeng

Hi my name is Gary I’m from Brooklyn, NY I’ve lived there my whole life and I probability move away later on in life or just stay here. I’m asian, and I prefer to speak in english than speaking in Chinese.

I became interest in math when I was in middle school and high school because I would enjoy the fun activities and stories my teacher in middle would do when doing a review before a test or when learning about a new topic in class. When I was in high school I was a teacher’s assistant for one of my summers and I enjoyed doing it and made me want to continue doing this again in the future.  My favorite topics in math are algebra, trigonometry, and statistics because I had a lot of fun when I was taking these course in high school and in college. My least favorite topic is calculus 2 because when I taken the class I found the course challenging and the professors not trying to make the course better for students to understand the material or fun. I have used Desmos and maple before and I’m interested in learning about geogebra. After I graduate from citytech my short term goals are to go for a master degree probability in city college while my long term goals are to get a job teaching at a middle school or a high school teaching.

I’m really excited about this course and the new programs I’ll be learning throughout the semester.

1. Kate Poirier

It sounds like your teacher’s assistant position really had an impact on you! To me, doing math is more fun when I do it with other people. Teaching is a great way to do this!