Professor Kate Poirier | OL67 | Fall 2020

OpenLab assignment: introduce yourself!

Due by 11:59pm on Sunday, August 30.

Your first assignment is to add yourself to our OpenLab course and to submit a post according to the instructions below. Your post is Your post will count toward your participation grade.

Add yourself to our OpenLab course

1. If you haven’t already, sign up for an OpenLab account using your CityTech email address.
  2. After you’ve logged in, add yourself to our MAT 2680 course by clicking “join group.” (This is the course profile page; we won’t be using it again for the rest of the semester. Instead we’ll be using the course site.)

Submit a post introducing yourself

1. From the class OpenLab site you can create a new post by clicking the symbol that looks like a + sign inside a circle at the top of the screen.
    • You must be a member of the course in order to see the + sign at the top of the screen. If you don’t see it, head back to the course profile to add yourself to the group.
  2. Title your post “Introducing [your first name] [your last name].” (You may use just initials if you like, as long as there’s enough information for me to locate you on my official roster.)
  3. From the categories on the right-hand side of the screen, make sure to select “Introduce yourself” so that the rest of us can locate your post later.
  4. Tell us anything you’d like us to know about you! Write one paragraph with at least five sentences. Some suggestions are…
    • Your pronouns (examples: she/her/hers or he/him/his or they/them/theirs)
    • Your major
    • How you became interested in your major
    • Which math classes you’ll take after MAT 2680 (if you don’t know, you can check your program requirements in the college catalog here)
    • What you hope to do after you graduate from CityTech; short-term goals, long-term goals, whatever…
    • Other interests/hobbies you have
    • Something you’re good at
    • Something you’re proud of
    • Your favorite book
    • Your favorite animal
    • Only if you feel comfortable sharing, you may also let us know how the pandemic has affected you. What aspects of it have been difficult? What aspects of it have been surprising? Have you learned anything new? Has anything good happened that might not have otherwise? Do not share anything personal if you don’t want to.
  5. Remember that this post will be available publicly on the internet. Don’t include any private information or anything you’re not comfortable with sharing publicly. (Don’t include your phone number or any answers to security questions!)
  6. Read and comment on at least one your classmates’ posts. (Note: the administrator may have to approve your comments, so don’t worry if your comments don’t appear right away.)
  7. If you have anything private that you’d like to share with me but not with the whole class (for example, if you are to receive a testing accommodation through Student Support Services), please include this information when you complete the first-day survey here.

1. Sheyla Criollo

Introducing Sheyla Criollo

Hi, my name is Sheyla. I am a sophomore and currently majoring in Liberal Arts only because I am trying to transfer schools. However i did come into City Tech as a Computer Engineering major. I love math, it’s one of my favorite subjects, but I don’t think I’ll have to take anymore courses since I am also taking Linear Algebra. Besides school stuff, I love dogs and being outdoor. I actually work at a Petco and I love my job just for the simple fact that I get to interact with various animals.