Handing in your written work

I’m still working on grading your Test #2 and I hope to have your grades to you by next week. As I mentioned, there were some problems having you submit your written work for Test #2 over email, so in the future, we’ll try something different. We’re all still just figuring these things out for the first time!

1. A single PDF document instead of several files

Many of you were able to use a scanning app to send me one PDF of all your written work, which worked very well. The main problems seemed to occur when individual photos were attached to the email, so I’m going to ask you to assemble the photos into one document yourself.

• If you have an iPhone/iPad/iPod, you can use the Notes app to scan several pages;
    • you can also use the Adobe Scan app, the Dropbox app, or another scanning app;
    • you can also create a Microsoft Word document, import the images into the document, and save/print the document as a PDF;
    • if you have an iPhone or Android phone, you can use the Dropbox app to scan several pages…you might prefer this because we’re going to try using Dropbox instead of email.

If you are using a tablet and writing your work in something like Notability or OneNote, then please save your work as a PDF (I need the actual file, not just the link to it).

If you absolutely cannot turn several individual photos of your written work into a single PDF document because you don’t have the appropriate technology at home, just let me know and we’ll work something out.

2 . Shared folders instead of email Dropbox file request links

CUNY offers free Dropbox accounts for all students, faculty, and administrative staff. I’m creating folders for each of you in my Dropbox account and will share them with you soon. You can find information about setting up your free Dropbox account here. Notice that you’ll need your CUNY Login information to access your account; that’s the information I’ll be using to share the folders with you.

Edit 4/28: I’ll be sharing Dropbox file request links where you will submit your written work. You don’t have to have Dropbox to upload your files.

I recommend practicing scanning your written work and sharing it in Dropbox (once I’ve shared the folder with you) if you haven’t done it before so you’re not doing it for the first time when it’s really important to get it right.

Webwork Ask for Help

Don’t forget about the Webwork question-answer forum on the OpenLab. Often, a peer leader will be able to answer your question before I can. When you’re on the page for your Webwork problem, if you click the “Ask for Help” button at the bottom of the screen, that link will send you to the page on the forum just for that question, so you can read what people have asked before and their answers.  Every question you ask or answer is worth one participation point.

Tutoring

Drop-in tutoring is available from the math department. Scheduled tutoring is available from the ALC. I heard that the ALC is not very busy yet, so now is a great time to schedule a one-on-one appointment with a tutor. Here are the links for for drop-in and scheduled tutoring (also in the menu at the top of this page). If you make an appointment at the ALC, forward me the confirmation email for one participation point.

Test #3

I’ll post more details soon, but I wanted to give you a head’s up: I’m planning on splitting up Test #3 (green topics on the schedule) into Test #3a (light green) and Test #3b (dark green). Both parts will follow the structure of Test #2: there will be a timed Webwork component and you’ll share your written work according to the instructions above.

Test #3a will be given the week of April 27; Test #3b will be given the week of May 4.