My Mathematical History – Tatiana Davydova

Hi!! My name is Tatiana Davydova, and I am from Russia. I came to America in 2004, when I was 11 years old (TEN years ago!- you do the math) A lot has changed since then, one of the most important things being the way I treat my school work. Until about two years ago all I was concerned about was passing, whether it was a test or a class, all I cared about was going to the next level. I did not care about the grade, not the knowledge I could potentially get nor the satisfaction of being one those students who were on top. The mere idea of homework was enough to make me hate school. I couldn’t understand what its purpose was. And mathematics was on top of the list, when it came to the things that I hated.

In fall 2012 I took a college level math class (in another college,) I had one of the lowest grades in my class, for the first time in my life I felt truly humiliated. Upon speaking to my professor I decided to go to tutoring and actually do the homework assignments. When it came time for the final I was mortified. I earned one of the highest grades in the class. Needless to say, I started doing homework for all my classes after that. When it was time for me to take MAT 1275 I was no longer terrified, I knew what I had to do to earn my A. I knew it wouldn’t be easy but I loved every second of it, perhaps not every – trigonometry is not fun, but the satisfaction of getting an A in a subject your were once petrified of, worth every second.

PS: I want to become a PA(Physician Assistant)

PPS: I love math now.

This entry was posted in Mathematical Histories. Bookmark the permalink.