Webinar 1

Bun Mee Fillmore Street and Market Street

“5 Essential Tips for Developing a Brand”
PaperSpecs created Webinar Express, a faster way to view Webinars if students like myself can’t find time to visit or view the longer ones. I watched “5 Essential Tips for Developing a Brand” because recently I went to a small get together and gave out my business cards and one gentleman was extremely happy I did. He told me about a business his son recently started and that he is looking for a designer. After we spoke for a while, he promised to let his son give me a call in a few days to discuss business. So finding this video was perfect for me. Christopher Simmons, the speaker in the video introduced his client “Bun Mee” a vietnamese sandwich shop, and how he developed their branding and gave them their identity. One of the 5 tips that stuck out to me was to always present black and white logos to the client before adding color to avoid them to making choices just because a logo is in their favorite color. I usually practiced this technique, but not always, so hearing this again really affected my thinking for my future client. Another thing Christopher spoke about is to not only ask for the clients vision of their company, but to also ask about their desired audience and the location they want to plant their business. These things are key to a good business, and we as designers should want our design to grow with a business that grows. Also, designers should help a client make wise decisions that may be sufficient to the business, because not all the time a client will make design decisions that work, so we should always make suggestions when necessary. Also, Christoper figured out a trick to know if a logo is great or not. He said, if you put the logo on a t-shirt and you say to yourself “I’d wear this t-shirt” then most likely the logo works. This short video was very helpful to me and I really hope that I receive that phone call soon, I can’t wait to start helping businesses build their identity.