Game Journal: Gone Home

A disclaimer, I only played for a short amount of time( 45 mins-1 hour), and in that time I thought it was an okay game. I did like the visuals, the feeling of suspense that was very apparent throughout the game.

You play as Katie Greenbriar, an adult female who has come from her long trip across Europe, and upon her arrival home, no body is there. Not her father, mother or sister. So, the Katie (you, the player), must find out what happened to your family. And as you move throughout the house you uncover bits and pieces of information to help figure out what happened to your family. Now, I will reiterate I did not play the whole game( I didn’t have enoug time) so everything that I did not like will be discussed from a limited scope, sort of speak.

So,I have pet peeve where information is given that doesn’t play a part in the narrative as a whole, and I see thar with Gone Home. Now, I did not play game, so perhaps this particular information I am talking about did have a payoff, but I wouldn’t know. So,in Gone Home there is a piece of information that was given that I wasn’t sure why it was included, and I will repeat: it could have a payoff,but I wouldn’t know.

So, in terms how I felt: Like a said before, I felt a great deal of suspense that was apparent from the beginning. I did not feel I was in the shoes of Katie, but only because I did not play long. The visuals were good, but I had to lower the resolution because my laptop couldn’t handle the top resolution, but still on the lowest resolution, the visuals were good. The sound design is solid: I heard falls of rain, the wind, noises from the TV, and even music on top of rain while being able to not have the noise of the rain to blend in or be overtaken by the music. Pretty solid sound design.

My game experience was okay, but I’m sure others will have a much more enjoyable experience. So, definitely give this a try.