Script

Rep. Rick: hello everyone my name is Rick but I’m a representative of NYCHA and its importance in that there have been a lot of complaints and suggestions from our clients, so to address that I’ve been sent with this suggestion box so that anyone who has had a problem may dropped them off here and they will be personally investigated and resolved as soon as possible.

Resident 1: I have been having a lot of issues with my apartment, and it is not…

Rep. Rick: that’s why I have the suggestion box or just drop your suggestion here and it will be resolved as soon as possible

Resident 1: The ceiling in the living room has had a hole in it for almost a year now and… (Cut off)

Rep. Rick: oh, no, no, don’t worry sir just drop your suggestion in this box and it will be taken care of as soon as possible

Resident 1: That is what has always been said but…

Rep. Rick: don’t worry sir once you drop your suggestion into this box I will personally look into it and have your issue revolve as soon as possible.

Resident 1: It is so close today. My body is freezing. *Gets close to the fire*

Note: push me away again and make a mention of me holding up the line, then prompt people to place their suggestions.

Rep. Rick: Sir please you’ve already placed your suggestions so please move away from the box, you’re holding up the line of others would like to leave a suggestion.

Rep. Rick: if anyone else would like to leave a suggestion for NYCHA please do so by writing it down and drop it in this box, it will be taken care of as soon as possible.

Note: This will be the prompt for our classmates to drop in their suggestions. You make a remark to their suggestions heating you up more and urge them to make more suggestions if they have any.

Rep. Rick: anyone has any more suggestions they like to place in this box please feel free to do so (I get close to the box to feel the warmth of burning paper) i fee so warm knowing that I can help.

Resident 1: How long will it take for you to read our suggestions and actually do something about it?

Rep. Rick: don’t worry sir, the moment I bring the box back to the office I’ll look through all of them personally and address each problem as soon as possible.

Rep. Rick: (after a few seconds I spot Ariandy and gesture that him to come closer) Hello Sir is there a suggestion that you would like to make to NYCHA, if so please write it down and drop it off into this suggestion box.

Note: After Ariandy drops his suggestion, you quickly tell him to move along, because he’s holding up the line. There is no line. When he walks past me, I call him over to me.

Rep. Rick: Thank you sir for leaving your suggestion, now if you would kindly move along there are other people waiting to drop in their suggestions

Resident 1: *Talking to resident 2* Wait don’t leave. Let’s talk to him and find out what is going on. If we talk to him together then we’ll have a better chance of getting answers.

Resident 2: I wanted to talk to the New York Housing Representative about the windows in my apartment and how they may be freezing my dear old grandma. You know she has end stage cancer she won’t make it past spring but her wish was just one warm Christmas eve at the building but I see that the representative is busy I don’t want to bother such a busy man look at that tuxedo really fancy.

Resident 1: *Talking to rep* Do you see the pain that good people have to go through and nothing is being done!

Rep. Rick: *talking to resident 1* I’m sorry sir but i couldn’t hear what you 2 we’re talking about. *Turn to resident 2* oh and thanks for complimenting my suit.

Note: At this point the rep is into himself and fixing his suit to make sure it’s nice. He turns away from the residents while he is doing this.

Resident 1: Why are you ignoring us? You heard what he said!

Rep. Rick: I’m sorry but I don’t know what your talking about, I didn’t hear what he said.

Resident 1: *Talking to resident 2*: Tell him what you said again.

Note: I will move aside and I’ll give resident 2 the stage to repeat himself. He says that he doesn’t want to be a bother and gets behind me.

Resident 2: I mean its just that my dear old grandma is really sick and our apartments broken windows aren’t really helping. I know it’s a really small request. I just don’t want to bother the NYCHA representative. Sorry to bother

Resident 1: You heard him this time! For too long we have been overlooked and forgotten by NYCHA. Jobs that should take days, instead take months. No one is made to feel like they matter! *Turns to talk to resident 2* How long have your windows been broken for?

Resident 2: 5 years

Resident 1: *Talking to the rep in shock* 5 years?! He’s had a window that’s been broken for that long and nothing has been done!

Rep. Rick: Sir if your issue is simply a broken window instead of waiting on someone else to fix it you could have just gone to Home Depot and fix it yourself, it’s not that difficult.

Note: An advocate for NYCHA residents speaks up from the crowd, disgusted at what he just heard from the representative.

Advoc: I am disgusted! 49% of NYCHA residents are working families! but they make an effort of paying rent which is 30% of their income and they only make less than $20,000 a year!

Note: *Rep looks worried *

Advoc: Not to mention 20% of NYCHA resist are elders, ages 65 and up

Advoc: Do you think these residents can fix their own windows if they wanted to?!

Note: Rep doesn’t reply and starts staring at everyone.

Rep. Rick: Okay now hold on sir, you seem to be twisting my words, I never said that everyone can fix their own windows

Resident 1: We all heard what you said. You told him to fix his own windows, when it’s your job to fix his windows, since he pays rent.

Advoc: And Let me tell you that there is about 300,000 unmet repairs

To these building, matter of fact there is 564,000 New Yorkers living in NYCHA buildings. This is telling me you guys are not taking action!

Rep. Rick: well u see, umm, we are trying to, umm, address the many problems that, umm, our residents have but, umm…………..(can’t think of a response to give)

Advoc: That’s not enough! Children in NYCHA buildings are expose to lead poisoning!

Now I know for a fact America is a country that prioritize children health and well-being! So why …

Note: Rep runs away

Note: Advocate walks after him demanding answers. Followed by resident 1 say things. Then resident 2 makes a mention about the rep forgetting the suggestions.

Advoc: Wait! Hold on! I demand answers!

Resident 1: You can’t just run away from your responsibility!

Rep. Rick: MAYOR DeBLASIO, THE PLAN DIDN’T WORK, SAVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Resident 2: Looks like representative forgot his suggestion box.