STEMFemme

Gender equality documentation

STEMFemme Performance Starter Pack

Gender Equality in STEM

During the beginning stages of the project, we started with a broad and somewhat general topic of Gender Inequality and Domestic Violence. However, after brainstorming, we noticed that the topic of Domestic Violence fits under umbrella issues related to Gender Inequality, and while conducting research we noticed a theme which influenced our decision to focus specifically on the topic of Gender Inequality in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics).

Why did we decide on this topic?

We decided on this topic because each of our group members felt passionate and strongly about women (themselves included) being underpaid, under-promoted, unrecognized, and unfairly treated in the male-dominated industries they currently work in such as the construction industry and the information technology industry.

Check out the links below for insight into our performance intervention:

STEMFemme Findings and Expectations

STEMFemme Photo Gallery

STEMFemme Ephemera

STEMFemme Annotated Bibliography

STEMFemme Citations

Meet the Group Members:

Danielle

Majoring in the most male-dominated industry which is Construction. I work in the construction field and am constantly surrounded by men. This social issue is very important to me as being part of the STEM community and being a minority in it as well. I will graduate at the end of the semester with my Bachelors of Technology in Construction Engineering.

Nakeita

Majors in Computer Systems works in I.T and is only one of two women of colour in the company’s I.T department worldwide. This social issue deeply resonates with her and she feels that instead of complaining, taking action is a better way to address the issue of gender imbalance in the working field.

Gregona

Major is Human Services, currently works in the Atrium Learning Center for Federal Work-Study which has a female director and is an equal opportunity work site. At the end of the semester, she would have graduated with her bachelor’s degree in Human Services.

Ivana

Majoring in Architectural Technology. Her last year in school, working towards obtaining her bachelors. Currently works at a city job, DCAS (NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services). This workplace is mostly male-dominated in higher ranks, and there are women who work under them.