Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Meet My Everything book

I’ve always had a difficult time working through my thoughts from simple things such as my daily schedule to my emotions about certain events. Most of the time I’m better organized when I put things on paper it makes it easier to sort through everything. Since 2017 I always kept a book that I could write in, I wouldn’t really label it as a diary or journal. Just my everything book. 

I would write anything from due dates, to do lists , or even affirmations. When I feel like I have too much on my brain I head to my book and start writing things down. As I see everything laid out on paper things seem more manageable. I’m a person who doesn’t like clutter physically or mentally. When there’s clutter I often feel overwhelmed.
My everything book is a good way to keep my life in order. It helped me out most a few years ago when I was transitioning from my senior year in highschool to college. I felt like I had so much to do and so many deadlines. I just took a breath and wrote everything out in my book. I was able to keep things in check without going insane. I currently still have an everything book, but of course not the same one I started out with. Over time I have had about four books all of which I still have. 

1. Zhen Deng

I am glad that you are able keep everything organized with your everything book. It reminds me the everything books that I used own before I write everything in my Note app on my phone. In my opinion, using Note apps maybe more convenient but, it is a totally different experience to actually write with your pen on paper, now I want to dig out my old everything books and use them again.

2. Jani Avery

I do the same thing. I find writing things down extremely helpful. I have kept a similar type of book for years and think that writing it out, instead of typing in the computer or cell phone, makes it “real” – if that makes sense. It definitely helps keep everything in order.

3. Aaron Moore

I relate to your “Everything” book. When I was much younger, I used to have those, full of drawings, lists, writing, etc. Nowadays, my Everything book has become my phone memos. Do you still use a book specifically because the act of actually physically writing aids in the catharsis?

4. Abigail Rose

Thanks for sharing this. I sometimes let chol work and due dates overwhelm me. I tried a planner but I struggled with that too. Reading this makes me want to try again.