Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Wilbert Rodriguez, Favorite Poems

This poem is called “To This Day” by Shane Koyczan. Besides the visual presentation this video provides, it’s Shane’s voice that brings the piece to life. I had seen this many years ago in middle school, but it’s always stuck with me after all the time that’s passed.

This piece was made for the bullied who have a hard time seeing their own beauty after all the hatred individuals can/have receive. It inspires confidence for those who have a hard time making it out themselves. The message Shane has shared throughout this entire piece is insanely wholesome and transparent as well. He used his past as an example to show how far he’s come as an individual whose gone through the world of pain from bullying.

I enjoyed every bit of how raw he made it out to be. You can hear the anger in his voice as he reads the work off the page, and you can tell he had really gone through it with those alike around him.

1. BensonH

I remember watching this in middle school. I think the teachers were told to show the video to everyone in the class. Shane’s voice and style seemed very passionate and inspiring.