“Come on loves, let’s get out there and enjoy the sun!” Marianne ushered her two children out their apartment. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon and they were not going to let it go a waste spending it indoors. Her children, Dannika and Daniel, were 12 and 5 respectively. Marianne did not want them glued to electronics, and had made it a mini tradition to go to Central Park every weekend. The park was a quick ten minute walk.

“Mom, did you get everything? I’m hungry!” Dannika hung over her mom’s arm as they walked.

“Yes, Danni, I’ve brought the cold cuts and fruits we prepared this morning. Did you both bring your books?”

“Yes! I brought my book and Daniel has is comic, right Danny?” Dannika chirped. Daniel nodded.

He was more quiet and shy than his sister. The age difference wasn’t the reason for it though, and no one can blame him for his reserved character. When he was just 3 years old, their father had suddenly left. As his mom put it, “he’s gone to a better place now”. He didn’t know what that meant. Did he go live in a toy store? Did he move somewhere far away? He was still too young to understand, and Marianne did not want to hurt him like that. So she vaguely explained to him that Papa wasn’t going to come home anymore. She tried her best to attend every activity his schools had and spend time with the children with every free minute she had. Sometimes she didn’t know if it was enough.

“Well, it’s beautiful out, I can’t wait to sit down and eat!” They weaved through the streets, into the park, and finally ended up at their favorite field. It was an open grass area fenced in by large trees. It was crowded, everyone else also thought it was a good idea to come out. There were other families having picnics, people who were throwing a Frisbee, and some just strolling around or sunbathing.

Dannika threw the blanket on the ground and laid down. “Man, this is great!” Their mom took out the food and they ate a little. After that, they took out their books to read. Daniel’s mom had her face buried in the newest issue of her favorite fashion magazine, sister was reading her fiction book intensely. Daniel looked at the cover of his comic. Usually he was ecstatic to read it. He loved to pretend that he was in the story. He loved having super powers and saving the world.

In that moment, however, he didn’t feel that way.

He looked across the big green field and saw other children with their families. He particularly had eyes on this one group who was sitting near them. There was a mom, two boys, a girl, and… a dad. Daniel’s eyes began to squint in concentration.

Almost instinctively he walked over to that family. Marianne and Dannika didn’t notice, for they were so engulfed in their books. Daniel walked towards the man and sat down on the grass next to him. He was wondering what it feels like to have a dad at a picnic.

“Hi Papa,” Daniel said. The whole family turned their heads and looked at him.

“Hey little kid. I don’t think I’m your papa, are you lost?” The man and woman smiled amusingly.

“Yea, he’s not your dad. Who the hell are you?” One of the boys, presumably his son, stood in between his dad and Daniel. “What is wrong with you? Go away, go get your own!” The boy was older; Daniel was shocked by the confrontation. He cowered behind the man.

“You’re being mean, saying mean words, stop!” Daniel cried.

“That’s not your dad you freaking weirdo, go away!” The kid tried to grab Daniel, but his dad stopped him.

“Hey, stop.” He held the kid’s arm in place. “This kid is obviously young and confused. You’re about to be a teenager. Act right.” The man turned back around to Daniel.  “Why don’t we go look for family now? Where are they?”

Daniel pointed to his mom and sister sitting under the tree. He sees his mom running towards them. “Oh my goodness I am so sorry I was reading for a moment and didn’t see he wandered off! I am so sorry he interrupted your time with family.”

“No worries, ma’am. I think he was looking for his father.”

She thanked the family for their patience and went back to their spot. Dannika just thought her brother wandered off in curiosity. Even though Daniel resumed reading his comic like nothing happened, Marianne couldn’t. When the man told her that, her heart dropped faster than an anchor. All the emotions of not feeling enough or doing enough for her family came flooding in. She felt tears welting up in her eyes. And she almost lost control of it, until Daniel spoke up.

“I don’t like those people, mom. It’s quiet here with just you and sissy. It’s much better.” He nonchalantly flipped another page, unwavering of his attention to the comic. Like nothing happened.