Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Moustapha Ndiaye, Coates’ Critique

At first I didn’t get what the author was aiming at but towards the middle it started to

make sense. I enjoyed how Coats described the significance of the bridge as the land of living and the land of the lost. It gives a sense of mystery and made me think why do they call the bridge that? I also enjoyed how she spoke about her mother being the best dancer at lockless and how dancing changed her life, by meeting the love of her life which is the authors father. Towards the end I figured out the bridges significance and a scary moment for the narrator. The narrator watched her brother Maynard die and she came to a peace right away and she knew the her time was coming soon because she had to mourn the death of her brother and many others. That bridge brings a lot of memories to Coats and that brings me to my question How does Coats Cope with mourning the deaths of loved ones?

1. Jeffrey

That’s a good question. While thinking of the past, the main character is so distracted that they drive into the river. I’m guessing this isn’t the first time they zoned out, but this might’ve been the first time they actually got into physical danger because of it.

2. DeAndre Badresingh

I agree because during the middle of the story we got to see what was really going on inside the narrators mind and her feeling is they were the ones to actually take action at the bridge.

3. Fnu Janvi

I also really like the mother character because she loves to dance and she loves his children. when the author was telling about how his mother dance so beautifully, I started imagining.