Prof. Jessica Penner | D304 | Spring 2022

Tomas Biterski Final Reflection

This semester in my creative writing class I’ve learned a lot about myself as a writer. Through all the stories I’ve written this whole semester I’ve learned that I really enjoy writing when I don’t have to be held down by a topic of no interest. I found that it is easier to write when I am given free reins and I’m not confined to writing about some book or article I have no interest in. It’s really refreshing, and it has provided me with a perspective on writing. Hope to continue writing stupid and goofy stories because that’s what I learned to enjoy writing the most. What I’ve found to be surprisingly the most enjoyable form of writing was poetry. Before this class, whenever I thought about poetry what came to mind was unintelligible pieces of nonsense words created by some hipster and snotty person, who has family issues because her parents don’t understand them and consider themselves the modern-day Diogenes. So pretty much your typical FIT student. But, through writing poetry, I learned to enjoy it because of its unrestricted literature rules. A poem could literally be a single word and people can hilariously find it deeply profound, and that’s what makes it so enjoyable. 

As a reader, I didn’t learn anything different about myself. I still don’t like reading. I don’t have the attention span to finish a book. I think the last time I finished a book was my freshman year of high school, where I read “Of Mice and Men” which I would say is a pretty interesting read since it’s a good book and isn’t a ten thousand page Harry Potter book with a billion words on each page. I’m going to be brutally honest and say that reading my cohort’s writing pieces was dreadful for me. Not because I didn’t enjoy the stories, some were pretty interesting but, because it took me so damn long. I am a really slow reader, and stupidly slow. So when we’re assigned to read like 4 people’s stories, I might say some guy made my life a living hell with your long-ass stories. Really made me wish there was a SparkNotes summary on some of these stories because they were extremely long for no real reason. Then when I would go to write my critique I completely forget what even happened in the story my cohorts wrote and would have to go back and read it again. It was truly the definition of insanity. 

If I’m going to be completely honest I don’t know how I’m going to be able to transfer the knowledge I got from this to my professional career or my major. I study mechanical engineering. The only things we write about are reports, metrics, and proposals. However, I’ll probably continue to write stories and poems. I’ll probably use it for creative expression. Heck, I might as even publish a book. Heard the New York Times gives every book that’s been published on this Earth a best-seller. I could probably become a New York Times best-selling author. Just imagine all of the five people that care. That would be so cool. But, in all seriousness I really did enjoy this class, it was probably one of the most stress-free I’ve had in this college and I’ve enjoyed finally getting out of my house and going to in-person classes. Those Zoom classes were a nightmare. But, finally being able to get back to these in-person classes was a great relief, and I’m glad that I was able to take this class in person. 

1. JamesVegas

Your reflection was transparent in the way that makes you speak your mind on how you felt about many instances throughout the semester which is a great thing to talk on. Reading and writing were like night and day when you said you didn’t like reading but the writing aspect of the course was enjoyable, that’s probably the one thing I learned from reading this reflection. Everyone’s different in that way. I don’t recall there being an instance when there was any mention of change when regarding the reading and writing in the reflection, apart from not liking to read long stories but enjoying writing. Although the cohort assignments were a good additive to mention with grievances. The reflection mentions how you have a different type of major when corresponding to this class. Perhaps the class would give you an insight of writing some small stories with some free time which is somewhat mentioned in the end. I don’t have any suggestions from what I read overall, you spoke your thoughts in this reflection which is good to express how you felt over the last few months. It’s a good read based on your experience and a different perspective.