It was the summer of 2018 on a hot August sunny day. I had decided to go skating a bit. I was new to the skating community around this time. Practicing everyday in order to get better at riding.

My oldest cousin was a skater girl back in highschool so when her phase had ended she had given me her old skateboard. It was in good condition and hey I didn’t have to spend anything or worry about a board. Of Course I took it without hesitation. It was hard at the beginning having to learn everything on your own. Once I was able to get myself balanced on that board I was set.

During the weeknd is when I would go to a secluded parking lot nearby my neighbor in order to cruise around. It was so much fun. Putting in my headphones forgetting about everything. After a certain amount of time I thought I had mastered riding my board. I felt like I knew all the tips and tricks there was to know about. Finally, I got the courage to skate on the road alongside cars, buses and other skaters and bikers. I was doing fine for the most part making sure to look side to side making sure I wasn’t in the way of any cars.

After a good hour or two skating around it was time to get back home. I’m riding alongside this wide road and it’s empty near an elementary school. I made sure my earphones weren’t at such a high volume. I did that in order to be aware of my surroundings and hear if any cars are about to pass by.

“HONK, HONK” is all I hear behind me. I turned my head to see how far this car was. It still had a while until it came close so I decided to move to the side and get on the sidewalk. Before I was able to get to the side I’m khit and pushed off to the middle of the road. I was laying on the ground startled and shook. I get up quick but fall back down. All I saw was balck for a moment. People are surrounding me starring. I was scared, nervous, anxious and couldn’t say a word.

My body froze.

“`Hey, are you ok?” someone said

“I’m calling an ambulance don’t move” another person said

Tears falling down the sides of my eyes. I was scared and in shock. I was also alone so I knew someone would have to call my family and knowing they would worry, thinking the worst cases scenario. I heard the driver who had hit me argue with the man who was helping me.

Once the ambulance and police had arrived I made a phone call to my oldest sister. She was at home and I knew she could come within time.

My parents met me at the hospital I was taken to. I broke down once my mom saw me. The words on what just happened to me couldn’t come out.

Ever since that day I haven’t skated. My skateboard is hidden away in my closet. I was traumatized pretty bad to ever ride again. Well maybe only in parks and empty parking lots but on the roads is no longer a thing of mine.