Myriam Gurba review on Jeanie Cummins novel was something I enjoyed reading through because, just like Gurba, I myself am Mexican American. Mexico has always been surrounded with stereotypes just as any other country who isn’t the United states. Mexicans get a bad reputations because of Americans “criminals” ,“rapists”, “aliens”, undocumented , and poor. When a group of people from one origin get generalized by negative stereotypes it affects them directly wherever they go. Within Gurbas review she shares her thoughts and opinions over a white woman writing a novel about Mexico and the people however, doesn’t have any trace of being Mexican nor did any research about the area. Instead it was filled with the all so well known stereotypes that people have labeled. Gurbas quotes “I don’t think Cummins intended to write a novel that would serve a trumpain agenda”, she makes sure that readers know she doesn’t know Cummins personally but her novel screams stereotypes and when a native Mexican is reading this novel it’ll come off as offensive.

Gurba’s choice of language throughout the review is something I found interesting because she doesn’t hold back on what she truly thinks or feels. She leaves things in such as “I wryly grin at these fulanos and let my smile speak on my behalf.it answers,”yes bitch, in Mexico, there are things to publicize such as our own fucking opinions about YOU.” Personally I laughed and strongly agreed with her statement. America has painted Mexico, my country, as this poor and uneducated area ,meanwhile that is far from the truth. Mexico is filled with so much culture, talent, and knowledge. Different countries have something that everyone can learn and benefit from once visiting it. It helps open up one mind on how they view the world along with others. Coming to a realization that America isn’t the center of the world and knowing that there are so many beautiful areas out there within the world.